Many people see polenta is a paleo meal. The benefits of eating polenta is that is is gluten free, which helps many to become healthier in their diets. However, is polenta paleo? That is the big question that need answering in this article.
For those who aren’t familiar with what polenta is, it is basically made from yellow or white cornmeal boiled into a thick mixture. Sometimes other ingredients are added such as cheese or butter for flavor. Then the mix is usually poured out and allowed to cool until it can be cut into shapes and fried or baked for later use.
Unfortunately polenta is not paleo because it is a grain and is not available at all times through hunting and gathering, like paleo is.
Why Is Polenta not Paleo Friendly?
Polenta is not allowed on the paleo diet for the following reasons:
- Grains are not allowed on the paleo diet because they are high in carbohydrates and low in nutrients.
- Corn is one of the most genetically modified crops in the world, and is not considered a “clean” food.
- Polenta is often made with cheese or butter, which are both dairy products and not allowed on the paleo diet.
So, while polenta is a delicious food, it is unfortunately not paleo friendly. For those looking for a grain free and dairy free meal option, there are plenty of other choices available that can be enjoyed on the paleo diet.
Some of our favorites include roasted vegetables, grilled meats, fish or chicken, and simple salads.
Polenta and Paleo
Polenta something that is on the menu of many people who are on the paleo meal plan. Also another problem is that many still think polenta is healthy! Well if they are eating cheese or butter on top of it, then yes it is good for them.
But without the added benefits of cheese or butter to flavor it up then polenta is just essentially cornmeal with nothing else added to give it some taste. Still some may prefer this over other grains, but in light of being paleo, polenta simply doesn’t cut the mustard.
Paleo Friendly Polenta Alternatives
Here are some of the most popular Polenta alternatives that are safe to eat on the paleolithic diet:
- Oatmeal is a great alternative to polenta and is often made the exact same way! While it is not quite as popular, many people swear by this option.
- Sweet potato is also a delicious substitute for polenta because its taste is very similar and is much healthier for you than white potatoes.
- Cauliflower can be substituted in place of polenta in most recipes because it is a versatile vegetable that is low in carbs and high in nutrients.
While these alternatives may all have similar tastes to Polenta, they are all paleo friendly which means they should be included in your paleo diet instead! This will help you get adequate nutrition while still losing weight on the paleo because these substitutes are much lower in carbs and calories than polenta is.
If you absolutely must have a dish with a similar taste to polenta then try these ingredients out instead! You will still be able to get that same flavor, but it is much more paleo friendly. Also another great alternative is spaghetti squash, which is the perfect way to enjoy a delicious sauce without all of the added carbohydrates from pasta. If you’re craving a big bowl of noodles this is the perfect substitute for when you’re on the paleo diet.
Hi there! My name is Estelle and I am a Paleo Lover! I like helping other people learn about the health benefits of the paleo diet.